Selling your Orange County CA home requires taking a look at it from a new perspective. You may find that you don’t like everything you see when you start examining nooks and crannies you haven’t been paying attention to over the years, such as the potential for household mold.
What You Need to Know About Household Mold
Household mold contamination can happen to anyone. The problem can strike where you least expect it – in walls, electrical equipment and areas that you don’t normally see with the naked eye. That’s why many homeowners don’t notice mold problems until they perform a thorough examination of their Orange County homes for sale, like you do before selling your Orange County CA home.
Wet Household Environments are Highly Susceptible to Mold
A major cause of household mold growth is water leakage. Bathrooms, kitchens and any rooms with plumbing that may leak are all at risk of mold contamination. Household mold isn’t just destructive, it poses a number of health risks. Stuffiness, irritation and breathing problems can all be exacerbated by undetected household mold. Infants, elderly people and those with lung issues and allergies are at a much greater risk for mold related health risks.
How To Get Rid of Mold when Selling Your Orange County CA Home
When selling your Orange County CA home with a mold problem, you can either try to do it yourself or hire a professional cleaning and mold remediation company to do it for you. When comparing the two options, you need to remember that you are taking on additional responsibilities as an Orange County home seller. If you attempt to remove the mold yourself and fail to do an adequate job, you can end up losing more money in the long run than you would have spent paying for professional clean up, which needs to happen.
Remember that safety is essential, so make sure that you wear rubber gloves, air-tight goggles and an N-95 mask or something that provides similar or better protection. Mold can be toxic , so you should avoid touching it with your bare skin or breathing it in.
7 Steps to You Need to Take when Selling Your Orange County CA Home
1. Because mold is caused by water it’s important to start by finding the cause of the mold and solving it. Removing the mold won’t mean anything if you still have a leaky pipe that will just lead to more.
2. Remove anything that’s been contaminated beyond repair. Items made with porous material most likely have mold growing inside and out and should be removed and disposed of by double bagging them in thick, strong bags before tying them securely and depositing wherever your locality accepts this type of waste.
3. Open windows or a doorway to ventilate before washing the moldy area with a mixture of bleach and water. The solution should be mixed with a ratio no greater than one cup of bleach per gallon. Do not combine the bleach with any other cleaning material!
4. Rinse the surface one more with fresh water after the cleaning mixture has been allowed to sit for a quarter of an hour.
5. Dry the surface with disposable towels, which should be disposed of like along with other mold-contaminated material. Fans and dehumidifiers can also be used to make sure that the area is as dry as possible.
6. If mold remains or you want to be sure that the problem has been fixed repeat steps 3 through 5 until satisfied.
7. Remove and dispose of any materials that remain moldy after the cleaning process according to step 2.
If you go with professional mold remediation help, make sure that the company you go with knows about the Institute of Inspection Cleaning and Restoration Certification’s standards for mold removal. If you want to make sure the job is done right, check for proper certification before committing to a mold remediation company in your area.
Making the Right Choice
Finding mold growing in your house is not only frustrating, it’s scary, whether you have plans of selling your Orange County CA home or not. Negative emotions and a desire to just ignore the problem in hopes that it goes away are understandable, but in the end, the best action is to take immediate action to quickly solve the problem. Remember, selling your Orange County home a mold infestation will come back to hurt you down the road so don’t take that road. Professional mold remediation is a small investment to make if you want to ensure your home sale goes as smoothly as possible.
Your home is probably the most valuable material good you own. The second you see signs of a mold issue you should take action to solve it as soon as possible. This will ensure that you, your family and your homes future owners are all safe and satisfied.
Orange County CA Real Estate Specialists for Buyers and Sellers – Call Now! 949-355-9558
If you are thinking about selling your Orange County CA property, we have years of experience and extensive training in cutting-edge, online marketing technologies for today’s competitive market. If you are behind on your mortgage and don’t know what to do, we are experts in Orange County CA short sales.
As an investor, we have several services available in the preparation for the sale of REO’S and Short Sale properties. This includes a variety of professional sub-contractors who can do whatever is needed to prepare the property for sale. Once the property is ready, we can also help you with your specific marketing needs.
We provide Orange County CA real estate services within the following cities and communities, but not limited to:
- Laguna Beach – Emerald Bay , Irvine Cove , Crystal Cove,The Village, Crescent Bay and 3 Arch Bay
- Newport Coast – Pelican Hill
- Corona Del Mar – The Village , Spyglass and Cameo Shores
- Newport Beach – Newport Heights, Lido Island, Balboa Island, East Bluff, One Ford Road, Port Streets and Big Canyon
- Costa Mesa – Eastside Costa Mesa
- Huntington Beach
- Irvine – Turtle Ridge, Shady Canyon, Turtle Rock and Woodbridge
Give us a call today at 949.355.9558 or fill out our online contact form and let us know how we can best serve your Orange County real estate needs.
We look forward to speaking with you!
Real Estate Consultant
BRE License # 01771487
2010 Main St Suite 1250
Irvine CA 92614